Why wait for an editor to decide if your story is print-worthy?
What is earned media?
Earned media is getting a media outlet to carry your news for you. Traditionally this happens when either a business owner or a PR professional pitches a story to the outlet. Typically, these outlets have been television news programs, printed and online newspapers and radio.
In the last decade the ability of a business owner to publish their own news has gone from being a mere dream to being the primary way of getting PR for one’s business.
Your owned media
These days one’s primary earned media channels are one’s owned media. These include:
- Your blog
- Your social media channels and interaction
- Self-serve business media sites.
So, what should you do to gain attention for your business?
- Have a content marketing plan to support your business and sales goals.
- Have a website that has a blog integrated into it.
- Post regularly on topics of service to your customers and clients.
- Develop an audience for your content. Follow and engage with others on Twitter and LinkedIn. Create lists of influencers who are critical to helping you establish a conversation and get to know them, posting to them and conversing with them as it’s appropriate.
- Create videos and podcasts to distribute across your social media channels and to embed in your blog.
- Map out actions you wish your social media audience to take when they read your posts.
- Monitor, evaluate and adjust.
Want more insight on creating sharable, actionable content?
Consult this chart from Buzz Stream Blog.